Job Title: SRHR -Advocacy & Communication Officer on NUDOR -Intersectionality Project
Reporting to: Project Manager
The National Union of Disability Organizations in Rwanda (NUDOR) exists to strengthen the voice of the disability movement in Rwanda. NUDOR, together with its member Organizations, would like to ensure that persons with disabilities can enjoy equal rights to which they are entitled.
Funded by the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Liliane Foundation, represented by its strategic partner NUDOR, and 5 other consortium partners will start with the implementation of a programme on capacity building in advocacy for Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights of marginalized young people with compounded (intersectional) vulnerabilities.
The intersectionality consortium is composed of WEMOS (lead partner), Liliane Foundation (represented in Rwanda by NUDOR), Akina Mama wa Africa (a feminist organization based in Uganda), the Circle of Concerned African Women Theologians(feminists academics in Kenya), VSO and Forum for African Women Educationalists (FAWE). The intersectionality programme will be simultaneously implemented in Ethiopia, Uganda, Kenya, Zambia and Rwanda. Learning and sharing of innovations in advocacy for Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights (SRHR) between countries will be an important aspect within the programme. Strengthening of civil society organizations and social movements will be an important methodology to reach the objectives.
NUDOR, as strategic partner of Liliane Foundation, will assure the project is well implemented by advocating for the rights of youth and other marginalized people to realize their full potential around reproductive health issues is achieved. NUDOR will therefore hire a very well skilled and experienced Advocacy and Communication Officer for this purpose. The present vacancy of a Advocacy& Communication is specifically on capacity building in sexual and reproductive health advocacy towards youth with intersecting vulnerabilities, among which disability.
2. Job Purpose:
To lead the implementation and successful delivery of NUDOR’s interventions on the Intersectionality SRHR Advocacy project in Rwanda over a 5-year period in line with the donor (Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs), Liliane Foundation and NUDOR guidelines. The primary objective is to improve the capacity of Organizations of persons with disabilities and other specific CSOs to advocate for the Sexual and Reproductive Health and
Rights (SRHR) of marginalized young people with disabilities and intersecting identities based on gender, race, class and age.
- To promote sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) within the different Districts, partners, DPOs Development partners for rights of PWDs on SRHR.
- To develop and implement Advocacy and Communications strategies that further our goals
- To organize and execute a wide range of actions to influence policy according to the scope of our strategy, programs, and specific results-oriented projects.
- To enhance the capacities of the early adopters’ MOs and POs on advocacy and Communication around SRHR
- Contribute to the develop of an Advocacy and communication strategies towards SRHR .
- Identify opportunities to raise awareness of SRHR with relevant stakeholder based on advocacy strategy and communication materials.
- Prepare communication materials and case studies to be used in advocacy work.
- Capacity building efforts on advocacy and communication, including training related to advocating for sexual and reproductive health and rights.
- Provide technical assistance to early adopters, MOs and POs to finalize a stand-alone advocacy and communication strategies and action plans
- Act as a focal point for advocacy and communication for the SRHR Project.
- Identify champions, activists, youth and women groups at all levels
- Ensure that SRHR positive messages are delivered through champions, activists, youth and women groups
- Support the development of national Behavior and Social Change Communication (BSCC) plans and the communication & comportment change plan (CCC) at the early adopters, MOs and community level.
- Develop communications and media material to be published on website and NUDOR’s social media
- Liaise with the Resource Mobilization Team on issues and advocacy opportunities, including advocacy proposals for funding.
- Assist in preparing speeches, articles and other public relations material
- Work with relevant staff to analyze the Indicators, including mechanisms to capture national advocacy efforts.
4. Technical Competencies required:
- SRH technical expertise
- University Degree in Public Health, clinical psychology, social sciences or related degree
- A proven experience of at least 3 years in the field of SRHR advocacy and communication
- Proven Experience advocacy and communication towards inclusion of persons with disabilities
- Skills in training, monitoring and evaluation of health interventions
- Strong writing skills and report writing and Experience of working in the field in remote area.
- Proven experience to work with persons with disabilities
- Good analytical and writing skills, including report writing
- Advanced computing skills, to include Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Good spoken and written, English and French
- Strong organisational and time management skills
- Financial management skills
- Awareness of and sensitivity to the multi-cultural and diverse environment in which NUDOR operates
- Supportive of a youth and women with disabilities’ right to choose and have access to safe abortion services
- Commitment to put equality, diversity and inclusion into practice
- Understanding of and a commitment to safeguarding including child protection, in a local, regional and international context
How to apply
Qualified Candidates (m/w) should submit a motivation letter + CV and other supporting documents in English to: NUDOR email, email@example.com not later than 15th February 2021 at 4PM. Note that due to measures to fight against the spread of Covid19 Pandemic, hard documents will not be received and considered. The application has to be addressed to the Executive Secretary of NUDOR.
Download the following PDF Version of this advert
NUDOR is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted applicants will be notified for writing exam and interview.