NATIONAL UNION OF DISABILITY ORGANIZATIONS IN RWANDA (NUDOR)
“PROMOTION OF ANTI-DISCRIMINATION PRACTICES FOR PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES IN RWANDA”
Launching of the project, July 2019
|NAME OF THE PROJECT||“PROMOTION OF ANTI-DISCRIMINATION PRACTICES FOR PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES IN RWANDA”|
|IMPLEMENTER||NATIONAL UNION OF DISABILITY ORGANIZATIONS OF RWANDA (NUDOR)|
|FUNDER||BMZ (German Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development) & CBM-Germany (Christoffel Blind Mission)|
|PROJECT DURATION||4 YEARS|
|STARTING TIME||MAY 2019|
|ENDING TIME||JANUARY 2023|
|AREA OF IMPLEMENTATION||NATIONA LEVEL & BURERA, GISAGARA, KICUKIRO, NGOMA AND NYAMASHEKE DISTRICTS|
LOGICAL FRAMEWORK OF THE PROJECT
OVERALL GOAL (IMPACT)
The rights of people with disabilities are implemented in Rwanda in accordance with the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
PROJECT GOAL (OUTCOME)
People with disabilities actively bring their interests into national and local processes through empowered DPOs, HROs, platforms and authorities.
UNDER GOALS (OUTPUTS)
- Community members, social service providers and public officials are sensitised and their capacities are strengthened in the field of human rights and the rights of people with disabilities.
- Close cooperation has been established between DPOs and Rwandan government institutions with regard to promoting the human rights of people with disabilities, inclusion and anti-discrimination.
- The capacities of DPOs and HROs are strengthened to monitor and promote the integration of international human rights instruments into national and local policy and planning.
- The capacity of at least 600 people with disabilities in the 5 target districts to claim their rights has been strengthened and they are actively working for these rights.
TARGET GROUP OF THE PROJECT
DIRECT TARGET GROUPS
Total number of persons that will be trained are : 2,116 persons
- 13 Persons with Disabilities Organizations (PDOs) + 2 Organizations for other marginalized groups (Rwanda Network of People Living with HIV & Communaté des Potiers du Rwanda (COPORWA) with around 700 members
- 10 Human rights Organizations (HROs)
- 226 Government officials (36 National level (MINALOC, MIGEPROF, MINIJUST, GMO,NCC, NYC, NWC, NCPD, RNP) , 180 local level (Districts) & policemen)
- 100 social service provides (schools, hospitals, transport companies, etc)
- 180 community members as mediators (community health workers, opinion leaders)
- 600 people with disabilities (30 people per 5 districts in 4 years)
- 300 young people/youth countrywide
INDIRECT TARGET GROUP
All persons with disabilities in Rwanda (446,000) will benefit from achieving the project objectives.
PROJECT KEY ACTIVITIES
Objective/Output 1: Community members, social service providers and public officials are sensitised and their capacities are strengthened in the field of human rights and the rights of people with disabilities.
- Baseline study on the current understanding in terms of international instruments on human rights and the rights of persons with disabilities.
- Training and awareness on international human rights, rights for people with disabilities and their integration into the national legal framework for :
- National and Local authorities, PDOs, and HROs, Local social service providers, community members
- Establishment of an annual national forum for dialogue on human rights with regard to persons with disabilities and other marginalized groups
- Quarterly partner meeting at local and national levels with representatives of government institutions to monitor the progress in the promotion of anti-discrimination.
Objective/Output 2: Close cooperation has been established between DPOs and Rwandan government institutions in promoting the human rights of people with disabilities, inclusion and anti-discrimination.
- Analysis of “inclusiveness” in existing policies and programs towards international Human rights conventions and treaties;
- Meetings with Government Agencies, DPOs to advocate for and protect the rights of persons with disabilities;
- Discussions with parliamentarians and other policy makers on legislation, position papers of DPOs amongst others;
- Annual meetings with Local Authorities to ensure that recommendations from public debates are taken into account.
Objective/Output 3: The capacities of Persons with Disability Organizatiosn (PDOs) and Human Rights Organizations (HROs) are strengthened to monitor and promote the integration of international human rights instruments into national and local policy and planning.
- Work with HROs on the monitoring and reporting of discrimination cases;
- Carrying out situation analysis and collecting reports on discrimination cases of persons with disabilities and marginalised groups;
- Conducting radio and TV talk shows on human rights, rights of persons with disabilities and anti-discrimination;
- Documentation of the impact of the project on the promotion of human rights and anti-discrimination.
- Conduct workshops to raise awareness and mobilize young people for the issue of disability
Objective/Output 4: The capacity of at least 600 people with disabilities in the 5 target districts to claim their rights has been strengthened and they are actively working for these rights.
- Training of 600 people with disabilities to UNCRPD and other Human rights instruments,
- Awareness through annual awareness campaigns on the International Day of Persons with Disabilities,
- Establishment of local platforms as channels for reporting discrimination and rights violations and supporting annual general meetings.
PROJECT IMPLEMENTATION STAKEHOLDERS
NATIONAL AND LOCAL INSTITUTIONS
- Ministry of Local Governance (MINALOC)
- Ministry of Justice (MINIJUST),
- Ministry of Gender and Family Promotion (MIGEPROF),
- Rwanda Correction Services (RCS),
- Gender Monitoring Office (GMO),
- National Human Rights Commission (NHRC),
- National Council for Children, (NCC),
- National Youth Council (NYC),
- National Women’s Council (NWC),
- National Council of People with Disabilities (NCPD),
- Supreme Court
- Rwanda National Police (RNP),
- Rwanda Law Reform Commission (RLRC),
- Local authorities in 5 districts (BURERA, GISAGARA, KICUKIRO, NGOMA AND NYAMASHEKE DISTRICTS)
HUMAN RIGHTS ORGANIZATIONS (HROS)
- Great Lakes Initiative for Human Rights and Development (GLIHD);
- Human Right First Rwanda Association;
- Collectif of et Ligues Associations de Défense of Droits de l’Homme au Rwanda (CLADHO);
- Never Again Rwanda;
- Association de la Jeunesse pour la Promotion des Droits de l’Homme et développement (AJPRODHO-JIJUKIRWA),
- Legal Aids Forum,
- Rwanda Bar Association
- Health Development Initiative (HDI).
PERSONS WITH DISABILITY ORGANIZATIONS
- Rwanda Union of the Blind (RUB)
- Association Générale des Handicapées du Rwanda (AGHR)
- Collectif Tubakunde
- National Organization of Users and Survivors of Psychiatry of Rwanda (NOUSPR)
- National Paralympic Committee (NPC)
- Uwezo Youth Empowerment
- Rwanda National Association of Deaf Women (RNADW)
- Rwanda National Union of the Deaf (RNUD)
- Troupe of Personnes Handicapées Twuzuzanye (THT)
- Rwanda ex-Combattant and Other People with Disabilities’ Organization (RECOPIDO)
- Rwanda Union of Little People (RULP)
- Rwandan Organization of Women with Disabilities (UNABU)
- Organisation pour l’intégration et Promotion des Personnes Atteintes d’Albinisme (OIPPA)
- Communauté des Potiers du Rwanda (COPORWA)
- Rwanda Network of People Living with HIV/AIDS
NUDOR HEAD OFFICE
KK 335 ST, NIBOYE CELL, NIBOYE SECTOR,
KICUKIRO DISTRICT, KIGALI CITY-RWANDA
PHONES NUMBERS & EMAILS :
THE EXECUTIVE SECRETARY OF NUDOR: (250)788400063
PROJECT MANAGER: (250) 788541106
Download PDF Version of this project basic information here